Strategic Priority Reduce the environmental impact of County government and provide leadership to promote regional environmental sustainability, including the preservation of open, natural park and recreation lands
There is a lot to like about living in Arizona and Maricopa County in particular. That is why ours has been among the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the nation for decades. We value the open spaces, the access to the desert parks and recreational areas, the lack of congestion. It is part of who we are. The challenge, of course, is to maintain that high quality of life while the population, particularly the urban population, grows. Not all places have achieved this. Through its commitment to sustainable development, energy conservation, water conservation, clean energy, recycling and public transit, Maricopa County hopes to become a model steward of its future, saving money, our natural resources and enhancing our future while growing economically more secure.
FY 2011-2015 Strategic Goals:
Click on goal to get more details about that goal.
- Strategic Goal #1: By 2013, actual energy use will be no more than 26 kilowatt hours per square foot in County buildings, a reduction of 7.5% from 2009 levels.
- Strategic Goal #2: By 2015, the average fuel efficiency rating for County non-idling sedans will be at least 26 miles per gallon or greater, an improvement of 90% from the 2010 rating.
- Strategic Goal #3: By 2015, 85% or more of citizens will indicate satisfaction with the amount of and access to open space and parks and recreation land in Maricopa County.
- Strategic Goal #4: By 2015, all new buildings built by Maricopa County will achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
- Strategic Goal #5: By 2015, Maricopa County government will reduce its carbon footprint by 10% from 2007 levels.
- Strategic Goal #6: By 2015, the number of days when air quality conditions are unhealthy for sensitive groups will be reduced to 10 or fewer, a reduction of 9% from 2008.
Back to Home