Back to the Communities page
Community Health Development
The Community Health Development team in the Office of Community Health Innovation serves Maricopa County residents through implementation of several health promotions including Million Hearts™, chronic disease self-management, and smoke-free education efforts. In addition to these promotions, the team:
- Provides training on screening referrals and evidence-based programs
- Partners with organizations with Community Health Workers (CHWs) to implement self-management programs; sponsors a CHW internship program
- Recruits organizations such as Housing and Urban Development (HUD) facilities, faith-based organizations, and behavioral health centers for participation and delivery of health promotions
- Conducts smoke-free policy consultations
- Provides outreach training for tobacco retailers
Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
The Community Health Development team works in coordination with the Arizona Department of Health Services to implement the Healthy Living: Self-management of Chronic Conditions program, a Stanford University evidence-based curriculum designed to help older adults (55+) and caregivers develop ways to manage their chronic diseases. Our team recruits lay leaders, sponsors their training, and provides additional support. The six-week workshop is offered to community-based organizations, faith-based organizations, health care providers, as well as other systems.
The Community Health Development team works with communities to create tobacco-free environments through prevention, community development, and targeting disparate populations. Education is an essential component of Smoke-Free Policy implementation. Together with the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) and the Arizona Smoke-Free Living (ASFL) coalition, our team:
- Educates property owners, managers, and residents of multi-unit HUD housing facilities about the risks of smoking, including the effects of second and third-hand smoke
- Provides technical assistance to properties transitioning to a smoke-free environment
Arizona Retailer Tobacco Training
This free training program is designed to help business retailers educate their employees about how to comply with state and federal laws that regulate youth access to tobacco. Topics covered during this 2-hour training include:
- Youth tobacco use and purchasing practices
- Arizona tobacco retail laws and enforcement
- Strategies for retailers to avoid tobacco sales to minors
- Tips for clerks to avoid selling to minors
Retailers and their employees can attend the training, often in lieu of paying the fine associated with their citation. Pre-registration is required for the training. To register for the class, click here. For questions, email ARTTraining@mail.maricopa.gov or call (602) 372-7272.
How to Report Violations
Health Fair and Education Resources Catalog
The Lending Closet is a free resource where schools, employers, and community organizations may borrow information and resources (e.g. models, displays, games, DVDs, etc.) to use for health fairs and other educational opportunities. Resources are available to borrow at no cost on a first-come-first-served basis. For more information about resources offered, email us or call (602) 372-7272.