Water and Wastewater Treatment Program
The Water and Wastewater Treatment Program is part of the Water & Waste Management Division of the Environmental
Services Department of Maricopa County and is responsible for approving and regulating water and wastewater
treatment facilities, reclaimed water stems and reuse facilities located within the county.
Maricopa County does not own or operate any water, wastewater, reclaimed water, reuse facilities or systems. However, the design, construction, operation and closure of these
types of facilities and systems are regulated by Maricopa County.
The Water and Wastewater Treatment Program's activities include:
- Project Approvals - Review engineering documentation, treatment processes and designs for the
construction of new or the modification of existing facilities and systems. Issue approvals
to allow construction to proceed and when construction is completed.
- Plan Approvals - Review and approve plans to revise or modify the operation of existing facilities or
systems or proposals for the development of new facilities or systems. Issue an approval if the
plan is acceptable.
- Operational Oversight - Assess the correctness and the effectiveness of operations and maintenance
procedures, develop and specify testing criteria and validation protocols for the commissioning of
treatment facilities and systems, analyze validation and performance testing data and reports, monitor
water quality data and treatment process parameters to assure compliance with the applicable rules and
regulations governing these facilities and systems, and identify operational problems requiring corrective
- Inspections - Conduct regulatory compliance reviews, operational assessments and inspect all facilities
and systems located within the county to assure proper operation and maintenance and compliance with all
applicable rules and regulations. Verify that operations personnel have the correct certification level
and type for the facility or system.
- Investigations - Analyze problems affecting the proper operation and maintenance of facilities and systems,
perform odor, noise and nuisance complaint investigations and oversee the remediation of spills.
- Enforcement - Enforce the provisions of the Maricopa County
Environmental Health Code and other relevant rules and regulations pertaining to these types of
facilities and systems.
- Technical Support - Provide technical support to other programs within the Water and Waste Management
Division and act as a technical liaison to other governmental agencies.
- Regulatory Review - Develop revisions to the rules and regulations within Maricopa County government
pertaining to these types of facilities and systems and provide input to other
governmental agencies for proposed changes to rules and regulations.
In addition to the above activities, Water and Wastewater Treatment Program staff routinely offer outreach,
instruction, and advice regarding the rules and regulations applicable to water and wastewater treatment
facilities, reclaimed water facilities and reuse systems located within Maricopa County.