The Swimming Pool Program is part of the Water & Waste Management Division of the Environmental Services
Department of Maricopa County and is responsible for approving and regulating public and semi-public pools,
wading pools or special use pools, spas and artificial bathing lakes. Public and
semi-public pools, spas and bathing lakes are typically owned and operated by municipalities or businesses
such as hotels, apartment complexes, homeowner’s associations, churches, schools and other government,
non-profit or commercial enterprises.
The Swimming Pool Program does not regulate or approve plans for the construction of new or
modification of existing private residential pools, spas and bathing lakes. Private
residential pools, spas and bathing lakes located in incorporated areas of Maricopa County are reviewed
and approved by the Planning and Zoning Department of the governing local municipality. Please contact the
local municipality or the Maricopa County
Planning and Development Department for their applications and requirements.
The Swimming Pool Program’s activities include:
- Project Approvals - Review of engineering documentation and designs for the construction of new or the
modification of existing pools, spas and bathing lakes. Review and evaluate variances for pool designs.
Issuance of approvals to allow construction to proceed and when construction is completed.
- Plan Approvals - Review and approve plans to revise or modify the operation of existing pools, spas or
lakes or proposals for the development of new pools, spas and bathing lakes. Issuance of an approval if
the plan is acceptable.
- Operational Oversight - Assess the correctness and the effectiveness of operations and maintenance
procedures to assure compliance with the applicable rules and regulations governing pools, spas and
bathing lakes, and identify operational problems requiring corrective action.
- Inspections - Conduct regulatory compliance reviews, operational assessments and inspect all pools,
spas and bathing lakes located within the County to assure proper operation and maintenance and
compliance with all applicable rules and regulations.
- Investigations - Analyze problems affecting the proper operation and maintenance of pools, spas and
bathing lakes and perform complaint investigations.
- Enforcement - Enforce the provisions of the Maricopa County
Environmental Health Code and other relevant rules and regulations pertaining to these types of
pools, spas and bathing lakes.
- Technical Support - Provide technical support to other programs within the Water and Waste Management
Division and act as a technical liaison to other governmental agencies.
- Regulatory Review - Develop revisions to the rules and regulations within Maricopa County government
pertaining to pools, spas and bathing lakes and provide input to other governmental agencies for
proposed changes to rules and regulations.
In addition to the above activities, Swimming Pools Program staff offer recommendations regarding the
rules and regulations applicable to public and semi-public pools, wading pools or special use pools,
spas and artificial bathing lakes located within Maricopa County.