Minor Plan Review
Most municipal building departments and the Maricopa County Planning and Development Department require approval
from MCESD prior to the issuance of a building permit.
A Minor Plan Review is conducted to determine if the existing septic system is adequate to accommodate a new structure
or modification to an existing structure, or to ensure that any added structures to the property meet necessary setback requirements.
A Public Record Request is required before submitting a Minor Plan Review if the
existing permit number is not known or not in the possession of the owner. There are several scenarios where property
owners may want to utilize an existing septic system:
- Removal and replacement of an existing mobile or manufactured home with a newer mobile or site-built home.
- Remodeling of an existing home.
- Rebuilding of a home which has been destroyed.
- Purchasing of a lot which has an existing septic system but no existing structure.
- Adding a guest house or pool house or other permanent structure to the property.
Public Record Request is required before submitting a Minor Plan Review, or to ensure
that any added structures to the property meet necessary setback requirements.
If, after the Minor Plan Review, MCESD determines the existing septic system is inadequate for the proposed changes,
an Alteration to replace either the tank or the disposal field, or a NOID
application to replace the tank and the disposal field, may be required.
For instructions and requirements, please download the Minor Plan Review Packet.