Ownership Transfers for Properties with Onsite Sewage Disposal Systems in Maricopa County
Pursuant to A.A.C. R18-9-A316: Transfer of Ownership Inspections for On-site Wastewater Treatment facilities:
- Onsite wastewater facilities (septic systems) must be transferred from the seller to the buyer when a property is sold. The Notice of
Transfer (N.O.T.) form must be given to Maricopa County to update the ownership of the septic system on a given parcel within 15 calendar
days after the date of property transfer. Provide a complete N.O.T. application and transfer fee of $50. A N.O.T application is required per parcel.
- Incorrect or incomplete N.O.T. forms will be returned with a Deficiency Form to the sender. Please find the most recent ADEQ form at:
- Maricopa County accepts only original signatures on Notice of Transfer forms. Forms with faxed signatures will be returned as deficient.
- Make check of $50 payable to Maricopa County Environmental Services Department (M.C.E.S.D.). The fee does not apply to the transfer from the builder to the initial
buyer (first time sale). However, the Notice of Transfer is required to update departmental records. Please see check box under Item 3 on Page One of the N.O.T. form.
- The Report of Inspection is a disclosure document from the seller to the buyer. The inspection should occur within the six months prior to the transfer
of the property. This report is not to be used for submittal purposes unless specifically requested by the Department. The form can be found at:
http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/water/permits/download/inspection.pdf, click on Report of Inspection.
- Mail check with Notice of Transfer form to:
- Maricopa County Environmental Services
- 1001 N. Central Ave., Suite 150
- Phoenix, AZ 85004